The legendary grand tour 30th anniversary.


 THIS is meant to be some kind of holistic wellness blog isn't it? That's what you're saying right now I'm sure.

IT is! And what I did counted towards my happiness and wellness and that of hundreds of other people, mentioning first the children at the hospice in Fremington who will be helped by the thousand of pounds raised by this epic annual event.

THEY reckon about 250 Mini cars (sadly not all classic) were in North Devon for the three day event over the bank holiday weekend.
I have only just very recently taken on my 7th classic mini, known as 'Brown Betty' and so I didn't do all of the weekend, we haven't yet built up enough trust for that yet! If you've ever owned a classic Mini you will understand my worries.

I could sum it all up in one sentence really, 'Minis make everyone happy!'

THE people that drive them love them. The people that watch them beeping and bumping along the road adore them. 
They are tiny cars with a big personality, you cannot fail to smile when you see them.

THE smell of fuel and leather, the wonky suspensions, quirky horns, and most of all, the people who drive them appear to not only be bonkers, but kind.


I joined the North Devon Mini club a couple of days before the event and I was welcomed so warmly by everyone. 
TO be part of a car or bike club, even a running or sports club, it brings friendship, support and humour. We need these things in our life to stay mentally and physically healthy.
AS humans we need interaction with other humans, it keeps us well, those people who live in close communities who socialise regularly, they live into their 100's! 

I did the Saturday evening run on my own as my husband had other things going on, and that was all I was going to do, but as soon as I was on route, beeping my little horn, waving at all the happy people on route, being part of a massive Mini (yep) convoy I couldn't imagine being anywhere else for the rest of the weekend.

JOYOUS! That is the best word I can use to describe the feeling I had in the car that evening. I then arranged to go the next morning and at least start the next day's run.

THE amount of people who come out to watch and support this event is incredible, you feel like royalty, and EVERYONE is smiling as the cars go past, making them feel joyous too. What an incredible thing it is to make that many people happy in a weekend?

MY husband then joined me on the Monday for the last one, he had to come and experience what I had, I was desperate for him to be part of it and understand the joy too, and he did! At 6ft 5 inches he's not really designed for the Mini, but he managed to fold himself in, head on the ceiling! But he took over some horn beeping and waved at the people at the side of the road, and the smile was on his face too.

IF you ever get the chance to be part of a big local event, do it, even just go and watch it, because I can guarantee you will come away feeling a little more human afterwards.

WE are lucky in North Devon because there are loads of fun events all the time, we have the water festival coming up soon in Bideford, fancy dress is also a thing that is prominent. We went as Cops and Robbers on Monday, that was the NDMC's theme. And the cars were in fancy dress too, people make an effort.

GET out there, enjoy life, do the things that make you feel joyous!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workplace headspace

Enjoy what you do.

Our goals are as individual as we are.