Super canine development.
HERE it is, another self-indulgent blog about my business, but I am so excited about what is coming in September I had to share it with you, and also share why I am doing it, other than the fact that I adore dogs!
I have been doing a basic diploma in canine massage, primarily for anxious dogs, then if I think it's a go-er I can take on the big diploma!
I already have years of experience working with animals, in rescue kennels, boarding kennels, grooming and veterinary nursing, all back in my youth, but I also have my own three dogs at home, as I have done for years.
Going to people's homes to give them massage therapy, I meet a lot of dogs, a lot of people have dogs or cats in their homes, and I get to have cuddles whilst there, and so I thought, wouldn't it be nice to offer not only people a lovely relaxing therapy, but their dogs too!
I have an anxious little dog, he's just a bundle of nervous energy all the time and a little too needy of my attention, and so I've been practising on him, and he loves it, of course he does, he loves any attention! And then I have the middle excitable dog, because my nervous dog is 12 years old, the middle one is about two and a half now, he doesn't sit still much, but he now appreciates the delights of a relaxing massage too. And the newest of the pack, just over a year old and ball obsessed is getting there, slowly! To be honest he just doesn't need it at the moment.
I worked in a rescue kennels for years, I lived in the grounds of the kennels before moving to Devon, I saw the anxious rescue dog turn up, and I know what it takes to gain the trust of those dogs, all dogs in fact, because even the dogs that were just on their holidays were a bit anxious at first to come in and trust us. You have to spend time gaining their trust, and to be honest it's not too different with the human clients that I have. If they didn't trust me, they wouldn't let me help them with their mental and physical issues, they wouldn't open up to me, and although the approach to humans and canines are extremely different, the basics are there. I am not an ogre, just someone who wants to help. If you can get that across, half your battle is won.
Would you consider letting someone into your house to touch your beloved pooch? That's been on my mind too, I mean, we trust the groomer, the vet don't we? Is this any different? I don't actually believe it is.
What can your dog gain from it? Well, as I have already stated, I'm not doing any dog physio, it's a basic relaxing therapeutic massage to help alleviate and tension and anxiety from your dog. No different to you going for a relaxing swedish massage as a treat. But if your dog can improve it's outlook on life from it, isn't that the best you can give your furry pal?
I'm going to give it a go anyway, I know at the moment anything I offer within my business is considered a luxury item, and we are all a bit short of cash, but I do believe we are more willing to shell out on our pets than on ourselves, I know that's the case for me.
Does your dog like a massage? Do you take time out to relax your anxious dog? Let me know!

Comments
Post a Comment